Our Green Plan
Addressing environmental issues and acknowledging the climate and ecological emergency has become an area of urgent focus. In 2020 our shareholder declared a Climate Emergency and has followed this up with a Green Plan which sets out a series of ambitions aimed at reducing the impact of the
Group’s activities on the environment.
In our Green Plan we have committed to:
As part of our the delivery of our Green Plan here are some of the changes we have made so far:-
- Piloting the use of full electric and plug-in hybrid vans in the Estates Team.
- Offering a home EV charge point as part of the lease car scheme to encourage the switch to low carbon vehicles.
- Installing additional EV charge points at our sites.
- Swapping plastic straws, cutlery and coffee cups in cafes for eco-friendly alternatives.
- Promoting “bring your own container” for takeout food and hot drinks in cafes.
- Rolling out a mixed recycling scheme to community sites as well as main hospital sites.
- Managing the Warpit surplus equipment reuse system which has saved over £250,000 in 4 years.
- Purchased 100% green electricity.
- Retro-fitting low carbon heat pumps at Monkwearmouth Hospital as part of heating system upgrade.
- Planting 1,000 trees in April 2021 as part of the NHS Forest project.